The Avalon community includes educational and media institutions and open source software communities sharing in the development, sponsorship, and implementation of the Avalon Media System.
Learn about development partners' backgrounds and their goals for Avalon:
- The Avalon team is partnering with Lyrasis and DuraSpace to explore a SaaS offering of Avalon by Lyrasis that would leverage DuraCloud for preservation storage.
- Data Curation Experts has announced that they will offer hosted Avalon as a service beginning in January 2017. For more information, see https://curationexperts.com/avalon This offering includes installation, setup and support of an Avalon instance in AWS for institutions who may not have the infrastructure or staff to spin up their own instance of Avalon or may want to start with Avalon in the cloud and eventually move it in house.
Avalon Project development is funded in part by a three-year National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and a two-year grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Institutions implementing the Avalon Media System
In a survey conducted in August 2014, six institutions in addition to Indiana University and Northwestern University reported work on production versions of the Avalon Media System. Twelve institutions reported work on pilot implementations. About two dozen institutions reported current or future investigations of Avalon.
We invite our survey respondents and the larger community to share their reasons for choosing Avalon, their progress regarding implementation, and their collections. Please contact us if your institution would like to be featured:
Institutions advising the Avalon Media System
These educational and media institutions have agreed to provide feedback on requirements, install and test the software developed by the project, and serve on a project advisory board. They may also implement Avalon with future developments.
- New York University
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Stanford University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Connecticut
- University of Miami
- University of Virginia
- University of York
- WGBH Boston
Open source software communities
As part of our sustainability strategy, the Avalon Media System developers work with these project communities to ensure that our product planning and development work are in alignment with community roadmaps and can be integrated into their primary codebases.