The Avalon Media System was developed as a follow-on product to Indiana University's Variations Digital Music Library to address the need to manage multiple audio and video collections across a library system or large institution. In August 2010, Indiana University and Northwestern University were awarded an IMLS Planning Grant for the Avalon Media System project. Development began in October 2011. In Fall 2013, Indiana University announced the Media Digitization and Preservation Initiative, a large scale effort to preserve and provide access to the university's media collections at risk of degradation and loss. The Avalon Media System will be used to manage and deliver this media.
- Media Collections Online (Avalon Media System for library and archives collections at IU)
- Indiana University Media Digitization and Preservation Initiative
- Indiana University Libraries website
Key collections to be managed through Avalon:
- IU Libraries Moving Image Archive
- Archives of Traditional Music
- William & Gayle Cook Music Library Audio Collections